Poem Notebooks to Practice Fluency in First Grade!

Happy Friday!  Today I am linking up with two of my favorite Friday linkies: Teaching Blog Addict's  Freebie Friday and Doodle Bugs {First Grade Rocks} 5 for Friday!

This week,  I wanted to explain one way we practice fluency each and every day in first grade.  We use our "Poem Notebooks!" Students are given a special notebook (just a spiral but it is special to them!) at the beginning of the year and receive a new poem each Monday.  The poems are collections from children's poems from many different resources.

Throughout the week we interact with the text many times in many different ways.  I am someone who loves routine and my kiddos are no different..they too thrive on routine.  Below is our typical weekly routine for our poem notebooks!


Common Core Alignment:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.1a Recognize the distinguishing features of a sentence (e.g., first word, capitalization, ending punctuation).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.3g Recognize and read grade-appropriate irregularly spelled words.

Number 1: Mondays
Students get their new poem and glue it into their notebooks.  I read the poem and students follow along.  Next, I read the poem and students "echo" read the poem. Students get so excited to get a new poem on Mondays and as soon as it is passed out the begin looking for words they know so they are ready for the week!

Number 2: Tuesdays
We echo read the poem. Then go on a "punctuation hunt."  We look for periods, commas, questions, exclamation marks ect.  One student finds these words on the SMARTBoard while the rest of the class find them in their poem notebook. We search for commas and circle them in yellow and we circle ending punctuation in red.


Number 3: Wednesdays
We always begin by echo reading the poem.  By this time in the week, depending on the difficulty of the poem, sometimes students are able to lead the reading other times I am still reading it first.  Then, we go on a word wall hunt.  This is an easy way to interact with the text and my kids love it!
We look for all of the word wall words in our poem notebooks and circle them in blue.  Some poems definitely have more than others but as I explain to my kids-word wall words are everywhere so it's important we know and recognize them!  Again one student is always the leader on the SMARTBoard and this time another student uses a pointer to point to the word wall words on our actual word wall as we find them.



Number 4: Thursdays
We begin by echo reading the poem.  Next, we find rhyming words throughout our poems.   We discuss if words are patterned or not.  We also talk about words that look alike and sound alike and try to think of other words to go with these word patterns.  I always find myself saying..."if you know how to read and write the word _____ then you know how to read and write SO many other words!"  As my kids are circling their words (this time in orange) directly in their poem notebooks, a student leader is doing it on the SMARTBoard for kids other kids to see.



Number 5: Fridays
We illustrate and continue practicing our fluency. This is one of my favorite days (I also really like our "word wall" hunt day!)  All week we discuss "visualizing" the poem as we read it.  Throughout the week we talk about some of the pictures students are creating in their minds.  This is the time when students get to put their pictures in their mind down on paper.  It is so fun to see the different takes on the poem.  They do such a great job with their illustrations.  Below are just a few of the samples from different poems:


Once they finish their illustrations students are able to go and read their poems with a friend on the carpet.  After kids become more familiar with the laptops then I add an additional piece which is recording themselves in GarageBand.  Students record themselves reading the poem and have a friend listen to it.  The kids really like doing this and hearing their own voices on the computers!   To read more about how we use GarageBand in first grade please click here.


To grab this  free copy of my daily poem notebook schedule click here or on the picture below: 
************************************UPDATE*************************************  With all of the requests for the poems I decided to add them to the post so you can download them directly through Google Docs.  Again, these poems are NOT my own and are labeled with authors names whenever possible.  If you know the author of the of the poems, that I have written "author unknown" please let me know and I will add it to the document.  

Please click here to access the poems! 

Thank you again to TBA and Doodlebugs for hosting such fabulous Friday Linkies! I am off to go read more ideas (and some freebies!) from these linkies!   

 
Happy Friday!
Amanda




114 comments

  1. I love this idea. I'd like to try and adapt it for my HS kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The extension of having them record their poem is just about perfect. That is the perfect way to int. tech while also building skills. Plus, I'm little jealous of how cool those poem journals are.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do something very similar to this...but we LOVE how you have your kiddos illustrate the poems!! Your routine with the poems is great! We love how they can read the poems during Daily 5 and Read to Someone is best because they both have some of the same poems! So fun!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I did something similar when I taught Kinders, and now I'm doing weekly poems with my 4th, 5th, an 6th graders. I'll be pinning this for future reference. Thank you! :)
    ~HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the daily interaction with the poem and your tech ideas. Can't wait to incorporate them. Thanks for sharing! We do weekly poems in our daily shared reading as well, and keep them in their organizational folder that goes home every day. What I love about them being in their take home folder is that the kid gets extra fluency practice with a familiar, fun read with their families. This equals success to me.

    I look forward to future posts from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas for building fluency! Poems are so wonderful for that and kids just love them! I like your idea of recording them reading and them listening to see if they are fluent. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Love this idea. Do you have a link where to get the poems? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen,

      I can send them to you via email if you would like!

      Amanda

      Delete
  8. I LOVE this idea and would really like to use it next year in my classroom. I have the same question as Kristen G. Do you have a list of poems or a link to where you get all of them? Is there a specific pattern/theme to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,

      I can send them to you via email if you would like!

      Amanda

      Delete
  9. Amanda - I would be so grateful if you'd share your poems with me, too! I have been searching for first grade level poetry and havent been able to find a good resource. I love how you interact with ONE poem all week long, it's fantastic!!! Thanks for these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you mind sending me the poems as well? I would love to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to but I need your email! Right now you are set as a no-reply blogger!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Could you send them to me also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to but I need your email! Right now you are set as a no-reply blogger!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Whoops I'm new at this! Angelamhand@gmail.com thanks you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry I am also new at this. I have tried changing my settings so I'm not a no - reply blogger but I haven't figured it out. My email is taralarson2005@gmail.com. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea! Could you send the poems to me as well at flutingsarah@yahoo.com. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I really like how you incorporated using the word wall. Please share the poems you use with me. I would really appreciate it! My email is stacyprince@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I love this! What a great way to bring everything together! This is my first year of teaching and I would greatly appreciate it if you'd send me a copy of the poems that you use! My email is lbrennei@ualberta.ca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this idea! I absolutely need to do this with my kiddos! I also really love the idea of having them record their voices… Awesome. Would you mind sharing the link to those poems with me? Thanks so much for sharing this awesome idea! hollybagley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a first grade teacher in Brazil, and have been doing a similar weekly routine. I, too, have had a hard time finding poems I love. Can you send me at andrew.hossack@graded.br.

    Thank you!

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a first grade teacher and love this idea. Would you be willing to share with one more? My email is eliza.elizalde@gmail.com.

    Thank you!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love your poem list as well! My email is airencanty@gmail.com. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your ideas! I've been looking for a good way to practice fluency with poems. Can you please send the poems to me? I'm new to this sort of thing and don't have a full account set up, so my email address is agaspari@greenville.k12.sc.us. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a first grade teacher in Florida. I absolutely love your idea of interacting with the poem all week. Can you please send me the poems and smart boards. My email address is adriana.austin@stlucieschools.org or adriana.austin@gmail.com. Thank you in advance! Can't wait to get started with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this! Could you send me your list of poems as well? jchefler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE this idea...I would LOVE the poems you do weekly! Thanks for sharing! pcudd23@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! can you email me the list of poems? nbrent1986@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love a copy of your poems too. Do you mind sharing them?

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is exactly what I was looking for to build fluency for my resource room kiddos! I love this! May I also have a copy of the poems? My email is mandalina37@gmail.com Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to start this with my first graders! Would you please be willing to send a copy og the poems to me at jenfroh@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would also love to do this with my first graders!
    Could you please send a copy to: lindsayjstuart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this idea! Will you send me a list of the poems? pwhawkinz@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Would you please send the list to me, also?
    jengoodale@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love a copy of the poems also, please send to me at ambermejiawins@gmail.com Thank you, I will be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I too would love a copy of the poems. You have great ideas! pandapeters@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can I please get a copy of the poems? I LOVE this!
    Thanks!
    Teri- steinmetzt@blufftonschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would love a copy of your poems to use with my First Graders. They love our poem of this week but your ideas would be a great way to incorporate some independent interaction with the poems!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your idea of interacting with the poem all week. Can you please send me the poems and smart boards? My email address is jwagner@crb1.net. Thank you! I Can't wait to get started with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I absolutely love what you're doing with poetry. If you don't mind, would you please send me your poetry links? Thank you so much.

    cwarming@pomounties.org

    ReplyDelete

  38. This post is really informative to all kind of people. I am very happy to see the post. I will request you to give more information about this. I have gotten many knowladable speech form here. I have also website where you can get some knowledge which may be for your welfare. Visit here…..
    poem

    ReplyDelete
  39. Please share your 1st grade poems. I've been thinking and rethinking how I want to use poetry and fluency in my classroom. Your routine is just what I want. I think I want to add requiring several Lucky Listener signatures at the bottom of each poem. Thanks again. karin.patterson@lamarcountyschools.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sent! PS I love the idea of the of lucky listener signatures!

      Delete
  40. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this! Would you mind sending me a copy of the poems? Would love to use this in my classroom! katieolejarski@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Could I get a copy as well?? I love this fluency plan! awest1041@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would love a copy also! teragraves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. Can I get a copy also, or if you have them on TPT store or other store site send me the link. I think these will be perfect for my ELL students. Thanks :) davisa52@k12tn.net

    ReplyDelete
  45. Would you mind sharing a copy of the poems you use? Thank you! annmarie8251@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Can you send me a copy of the poems you use? Thanks! kelmo40@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Do you mind sharing the poems? I have not been able to find poems that I can use with my Kindergarten class. Thanks! ncahue9203@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Could you please send me a copy as well to courtney.connerley@gmail.com???

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would love a set of the poems too.
    amelisi@nsboro.k12.ma.us

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love this schedule of shared reading and interactive reading with your poems! Any chance you'd be able to send me the link or resource you use to find the poems? Thank you!

    Kyle

    kylewis145@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love this idea! Could you send me the link for the poems also?
    kd_friend13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I would love a copy of your poems if you don't mind sending them over. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I would love a copy of your poems if you are still sending them out. This is exactly what I was looking for a I love your weekly process.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I am going to jump on board and request your amazing poems as well! Thanks in advance! mcvaughn09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hello! I also love this idea and the poems you included. I wanted to ask if you would send me the Read, Read, Read options you use with your children. Thanks for sharing all of this with everyone for free. I know my students will love keeping poetry journals.
    eprince@fayettevilleacademy.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you so much! This is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  58. This is amazing- thank you so much for sharing. I am moving down to first grade next year and I am so excited to try these poems with my new kiddies.
    Thank- you and Merry Christmas all the way from New Zealand :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi! Can I please have the poems? Thanks!

    heatherl@aisabuja.com

    ReplyDelete
  60. This is so fantastic! Thank you for making this free and accessible! I plan to use it every week until the end of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thank you SO SO much for this incredible resource!!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing. How much time do you usually need for this lesson daily? I have a flex period of 30 minutes each day (if its still there in Sept.) and would love to use this during that time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I would LOVE the poems also! I really appreciate you taking the time to email them to me! aparker@oakrigeschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  64. Would you send the poems to me too?

    ReplyDelete
  65. I love this idea too! My only question is how do you fit it in with everything else we have to do in first grade - writing, small groups for reading and math, large group reading, science, social studies...? I would love to know how you manage your time and when you fit this in. Help! Thanks! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  66. Would you send me the poems, too, please? Thank you!! pwilladsen@ifacadets.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I see you've attached them to your blog. 🙂 I just downloaded them. Thank you!!

      Delete

Back to Top